Socotra, a world apart…
Come and join our tour to Socotra. An island that is known for its incredible nature. Baobab Trees, Dragon Blood Trees, vultures, the island has it all. During our tour you will discover all corners of the island. Every turn you make will give you a completely different landscape. We overnight in a tent, which makes it even more special. Waking up on the beach or between the dragon blood trees. Who ever wants to go home?
|Start date||Tuesday 21 November 2023|
|End date||Tuesday 28 November 2023|
|Days||8 days / 7 nights|
Transport on the island
Breakfast, lunch & dinner
Single room (€ 100, 2 nights)
Tips for the guide
Tuesday 21 November – Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates) – Hadibu – Ayhaft Canyon National Park – Delisha Beach
- 7 a.m. meet the group at the check-in counter of Air Arabia at Abu Dhabi International Airport.
- At 10:00 a.m. flight to Socotra (Yemen).
- At 11:30 a.m. we arrive in Hadibu, Socotra. We meet our local guide, who will stay with us for the rest of the tour.
- After a short drive we arrive at Ayhaft Canyon National Park. Here we make a short walk through the beautiful nature.
- After we have left our belongings at the hotel we go in the direction of Delisha Beach. Here you can swim (in the sea or in the lagoon) or take a walk on the beach. Next to that you can enjoy a beautiful sunset while several ships pass by.
- Overnight stay in our centrally located hotel in the capital Hadibu.
Wednesday 22 November – Homhil National Park – Arher
- Highlight: After breakfast we go to Homhil National Park. Here you will find the famous dragon blood trees and bottle trees. After a walk of one hour we arrive at a so-called ‘infinity pool’ with a beautiful view over the southern part of Socotra. We have lunch near the water.
- Diehards are allowed to make a descent on foot towards the beach. The others go by car.
- Short drive to Arher.
- Highlight: The beach of Arher is the place where fresh and salt water meet. Here we will set up our tents and you can climb the 300 metre high sand dune (if you wish).
- Dinner and overnight stay on the beach of Arher.
Thursday 23 November – Arher – Hoq’s Cave/Raw Ersil – Dihamri Marine Protected Area
- After breakfast everyone can choose between two activities:
- A 4 hour climb and walk to Hoq’s Cave. This is one of the most important points on the island. Or:
- A car ride to Raw Ersil, where the Arab Sea meets the Indian Ocean. From here we walk back to the camp.
- When everyone is back we drive to Dihamri Marine Protected Area. Although you may not find the most beautiful beach here, you will see a great diversity of flora and fauna.
- You can dive and snorkel here (for rent at an extra cost) or you can choose to go out to sea with a local fisherman.
- We bring back our freshly caught fish for dinner.
- Overnight stay in Hadibu Eco Campsite.
Friday 24 November – Dixsam
- Highlight: Drive to the Dixsam Plateau. This is the most famous place for the dragon blood trees. If you like bird watching: here you will find some special and rare birds.
- On the way we stop to take pictures of the view, like at Shehahon’s Viewpoint.
- Lunch in the village of Dixsam. We meet the village chief. He enjoys talking about his job and is very enthusiastic about it.
- We stop at Wadi Derhur for a short walk. Until recently you could camp here very well, but due to a storm the location is now completely destroyed.
- We take a walk to the entrance of Fermahin, the largest forest of dragon blood trees.
- Dinner and overnight stay with a local family in Dixsam.
Saturday 25 November – Dixsam – Zahek & Hayf – Dagub – Amak
- Morning walk through the village. We visit a local garden, here they try to grow new dragon blood trees.
- Drive to the southern coastal region of Nogud.
- Highlight: We stop at the large sand dunes of Zahek & Hayf and the beach of Amak. Enthusiasts can also take a refreshing dip here.
- Lunch at the cave or the beach of Amak, depending on where the sun is.
- We visit the beautiful Cave of Dagub.
- Dinner and overnight stay in Dixsam, surrounded by dragon blood trees.
Sunday 26 November – Qalansiya – Shuaab – Detwah
- Early morning drive to Qalansiya, the second city of the island.
- Highlight: We go by local fishing boat to the remote Shuaab beach. On the way you will see beautiful rock formations and birds flying by from the boat. Moreover, with a bit of luck we can also spot dolphins!
- Relax on Socotra’s most beautiful beach and have a chat with a local goat herder. We have lunch on the beach.
- After the retreat we drive via Qalansiya to the Detwah Lagoon.
- We set up our camp and go for a walk in the surroundings. The landscape around this lagoon is breathtaking.
- Overnight stay at the Detwah Eco-campsite.
Monday 27 November – Hadibu
- Drive back to Hadibu.
- We spend the day with a city tour through Hadibu and learn more about life in Yemen.
- Our first stop is the women’s market (including the spice market), where you will encounter the most common products of the island.
- We will then go to the fish market. Local fishermen bring in a variety of fish, which are then quickly traded.
- Then we move on to the Qat market, where the addictive drug, which is very popular in East Africa, is sold.
- We stop at one of the doormakers’ workshops. Here they make beautiful doors as you can find them in many countries in the Middle East. Making the doors is really an art. Each door is unique and serves to protect the family.
- We end our tour with a visit to a local school. We meet teachers and students, with perhaps a spontaneous English lesson?
- It is our last night of the journey. Time for a last feast!
- Overnight stay in a hotel in Hadibu.
Tuesday 28 November – Hadibu – Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)
- Relaxed morning before we head to the airport.
- 1:00 p.m. flight to Abu Dhabi by Air Arabia.
- 4:00 p.m. arrival at Abu Dhabi International Airport
- End of the tour.