Socotra (Yemen) – private 8 day tour
During this eight-day tour you will get acquainted with the main island of Socotra. The main theme of the trip is the flora and fauna. You will take several walks through the national parks and the different regions of the island. You will also learn about the local culture during your stay. This culture is strongly influenced by the Yemeni culture of the mainland. In the evening you will mostly camp among the dragon blood trees or on the beach. Beautiful locations where it is always special to wake up.
|8 days / 7 nights
|Get in touch
|Best travel time
|October to April
|Hadibu, Dixsam, Qualanshia
Transport on the island
Breakfast, lunch & dinner
Single room (€ 40 per night)
Tips for the guide
Day 1 – Abu Dhabi (UAE) – Hadibu – Ayhaft Canyon National Park – Delisha Beach
- At 10:00 a.m. the Air Arabia flight leaves Abu Dhabi for Socotra.
- 11:30 a.m. arrival in Hadibu, Socotra. There you will also meet your local guide. He will stay with you for the rest of the tour.
- Highlight: After a short drive you will arrive at Ayhaft Canyon National Park. Here you make a short walk through the beautiful nature.
- After you have left your belongings at the hotel you go in the direction of Delisha Beach. Here you can swim (in the sea or in the lagoon) or take a walk on the beach. In addition, you can enjoy a beautiful sunset while several ships pass by.
- Overnight stay in the centrally located hotel in the capital Hadibu.
Day 2 – Homhil National Park – Arher
- After breakfast you go to Homhil National Park. Here you will find the famous dragon blood trees and bottle trees. After a walk of one hour we arrive at a so-called ‘infinity pool’ with a beautiful view over the southern part of the island. You have lunch close to the pool.
- Diehards are allowed to make a descent on foot towards the beach. The alternative is the car.
- Short drive to Arher.
- Highlight: The beach of Arher is the place where fresh and saltwater meet. This is where you put up your tent. You can also climb the 300 metre high sand dune.
- Dinner and overnight stay on the beach of Arher.
Day 3 – Hoq’s Cave – Dihamri Marine Protected Area
- After breakfast we start a long climb and hike of 4 hours to Hoq’s Cave. This is one of the most important points on the island.
- Drive to Dihamri Marine Protected Area. Although you may not find the most beautiful beach here, you will see a great diversity of flora and fauna.
- You can dive and snorkel here (for rent at an extra cost).
- Dinner and overnight stay at the Hadibu Eco Campsite.
Day 4 – Dixsam
- Highlight: Drive to the Dixsam Plateau. This is the most famous place with the dragon blood trees. If you like bird watching: here you will find some special and rare birds.
- On the way you can stop to take pictures of the view, like at Shehahon’s Viewpoint.
- Lunch in the village of Dixsam. With a bit of luck you will meet the village chief. He enjoys talking about his job and is very enthusiastic about it.
- Stop at Wadi Derhur for a short walk. Until recently you could camp here, but due to a storm the location is now completely destroyed.
- Take a walk to the entrance to Fermahin, the largest forest of dragon blood trees.
- Dinner and overnight stay with a local family in Dixsam.
Day 5 – Sahek & Hayf – Dagub – Amak
- Morning walk through the village. Visit a local garden, where attempts are made to grow new dragon blood trees.
- Drive to the southern coastal region of Nogud.
- Highlight: On the way you will stop at the large sand dunes of Zahek & Hayf and the beach of Amak. Enthusiasts can also take a refreshing dip here.
- Lunch at the cave or the beach of Amak, depending on where the sun is.
- Visit the beautiful Cave of Dagub.
- Dinner and overnight stay in Dixsam, surrounded by dragon blood trees.
Day 6 – Qalansiya – Shuaab
- Early morning drive to Qalansiya, the second city of the island.
- Highlight: Take a local fishing boat to remote Shuaab beach. On the way you will see beautiful rock formations and birds flying by from the boat. With a little luck you can also spot dolphins!
- Relax on the most beautiful beach of Socotra. Enjoy your lunch on the beach.
- After the relaxing day you drive via Qalansiya to the Detwah Lagoon.
- Set up your camp and take a walk in the surroundings. The landscape around this lagoon is breathtaking.
- Overnight stay at Detwah Eco-camping.
Day 7 – Hadibu
- Drive back to Hadibu.
- Highlight: Spend the day on a city tour of Hadibu to learn more about life on the island.
- Our first stop is the women’s market (including the spice market), where you will find the most common products of the island.
- Visit the fish market. Local fishermen bring in a variety of fish, which are then quickly traded.
- Then you go on to the Qat market, where the addictive drug, which is very popular in East Africa, is sold.
- You make a stop at one of the doormakers’ workshops. Here they make beautiful doors as you can find them in many countries in the Middle East. Making the doors is truly an art. Each door is unique and serves to protect the family.
- Finish your tour with a visit to a local school. Meet teachers and students, with perhaps a spontaneous lesson in English?
- It is the last night of the trip. Time for a last feast!
- Overnight stay in a hotel in Hadibu.
Day 8 – Habido – Abu Dhabi (UAE)
- Getting ready for the 1:00 p.m. flight to Abu Dhabi.
- 4:00 p.m. arrival in Abu Dhabi.
- End of the tour.