Experience the unique Waghan culture
Experience one of the most beautiful road trips in the world with our spectacular Pamir Highway Tour. The tour officially starts in Kashgar, but you can also choose to start in Osh (Kyrgyzstan) and join the group in Sary-Tash. Expect impressive scenery, deserted Soviet bus stations and a few lost Lenin statues. We will follow the Wakhan route. That means we will drive a large part alongside Afghanistan, where you can have a unique view across the border. The tour will end in Dushanbe, the capital of Tajikistan.
|Start date||Sunday 19 September 2021|
|End date||Tuesday 28 September 2022|
|Days||10 days / 9 nights|
|Price||€ 1,695 / € 3,495 (Karakoram combo)|
Transportation on the ground
Western & local guide
Breakfast, lunch, dinner
Single room (€ 35 per night)
Pamir Highway Permit (GBAO)
Lunch & Dinner in China
Tips for the guide
Sunday 19 September – Kashgar (China)
- Arrival in Kashgar.
- OR: connect from the Karakoram Highway Tour.
- Meet your group at the hotel.
- Overnight stay in Kashgar.
Monday 20 September – Kashgar – Irkeshtam Pass – Sary-Tash (Kyrgyzstan)
- Departure towards the China / Kyrgyzstan border at Irkeshtam.
- Participants who want to skip China leave in the morning, together with our local guide, from Osh (Kyrgyzstan) to Sary-Tash. (€ 100 discount on tour price)
- After the border we meet our new guide.
- Drive to Sary-Tash.
- If there is time we go for a walk through the village.
- Overnight stay in Sary-Tash.
Tuesday 21 September – Sary-Tash – Lake Karakul (Tajikistan) – Murghab
- On leaving the village we see (with nice weather) the Lenin Peak.
- See in the distance the remains of buildings from the Soviet era.
- Drive to the border crossing between Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan.
- Highlight: Drive along Lake Karakul via the Ak-Baital Pass (4644m).
- Arrival in Murghab.
- Highlight: Tour of the village, including :
- Lenin statue.
- Local market.
- Overnight stay in Murghab.
Wednesday 22 September – Murghab – Langar
- We continue on the Pamir Highway.
- Short stop at Yashil Kul (the green lake) and Bulung Kul.
- Highlight: Across the Khargush Pass (4344m) we enter the Wakhan area.
- Highlight: On the left you see one of the most remote areas of Afghanistan, the Wakhan Corridor.
- Overnight stay in Langar.
Thursday 23 September – Langar – Vrang – Ishkashim
- Drive to Vrang.
- Old caves where Buddhists used to live.
- Sufi Muborak-Kadam Museum, a local Sufi teacher.
- The old Kakhala Kala Fort.
- Ruins of Abrashim Fort.
- Highlight: Bibi Fatima natural hot springs.
- Khahkha Fort, this old fort gives a view over the border with Afghanistan.
- Overnight stay in Ishkashim.
Friday 24 September – Ishkashim – Khorog
- We continue along the Wakhan Corridor
- Arrival in Khorog, one of the poorest areas of Tajikistan, but it used to be very important in the Soviet Union times.
- Overnight stay in Khorog.
Saturday 25 September – Khorog – Kalaikhumb
- Drive to Kalaikhumb.
- We drive past many traditional, conservative villages.
- Highlight: See local life in Afghanistan, across the Panj River.
- Overnight stay in Kalaikhumb.
Sunday 26 September – Kalaikhumb – Dushanbe
- Ride on the last stretch of the Pamir Highway.
- Short visit to the partly restored Hulbuk Fortress.
- Short stop at the monument in memory of the attack on the cyclists in 2018.
- Arrival in Dushanbe.
- Overnight stay in Dushanbe.
Monday 27 September – Dushanbe
- Highlight: Bike tour through Dushanbe, including:
- Victory Square with the Victory Tank Monument, in memory of the Second World War.
- The famous botanical garden of Dushanbe.
- Victory Park, in memory of the Second World War.
- Rudaki Street, Central Park and the Somoni monument, the most important place in Dushanbe.
- Largest teahouse in the world.
- Overnight stay in Dushanbe.
Tuesday 28 September – Dushanbe
- End of tour.