Welcome back in Syria!
Syria Autumn Tour
Join our group trip to Syria. In recent years, Syria has been in the news mainly due to the recent civil war, however things are slowly starting to get better again. During this tour we will take you to all the well-known places in the country. Destinations that were once very touristy, but now almost deserted.
|Start date||Monday 9 September 2024|
|End date||Sunday 15 September 2024|
|Days||7 days / 6 nights|
Lebanon combo: €2,545
Transportation on the ground
Western & local guide
Single room (€ 270)
Lunch & dinner
Tips for the guide
Monday 9 September – Beirut (Lebanon) – Damascus
- 8:30 AM – Meet the group and departure to Damascus from Beirut.
- OR: arrival from our Lebanon Tour.
- Lebanon / Syria border crossing.
- Drive to Damascus, the capital of Syria.
- Via Straight Street we walk to the House Chapel of Ananias. He was one of the first Christians in Syria.
- Highlight: The Great Mosque, also known as the Omajaden Mosque.
- See the famous Al Hamidieh Grand Bazaar (also known as the Al-Hamidiyah Souk). The perfect place to get acquainted with daily life in Damascus.
- Walk through the old centre of Damascus.
- Overnight stay in Damascus.
Tuesday 10 September – Damascus – Mishtaya
- Drive to Krak des Chevaliers.
- Highlight: Visit to Krak des Chevaliers. This famous castle is the symbol of the Crusades and was the base for the Hospitallers.
- Drive to Mishtaya, up in the mountains.
- Have a winetasting with a local family.
- Overnight stay in homestays in Mishtaya.
Wednesday 11 September – Mishtaya – Homs – Palmyra – Hama
- Drive to Homs.
- Walking tour through Homs. We will see the neighbourhood that was completely damaged by the war. But we’ll also visit the new souk of Homs.
- Drive to Palmyra. Although IS has destroyed much here, there is still a lot to see.
- Highlight: We see the remains of the Temple of Bel, the Triumphal Arch, the colonnades, the theatre, the agora and the tombs.
- Drive to Hama.
- Overnight stay in Hama.
Thursday 12 September – Hama – Aleppo
- Visit to the famous waterwheels in the Orontos River.
- Drive to Aleppo. It was the largest city in the country and since the civil war it is the second largest city in the country.
- Short walk through the centre of Aleppo.
- See the famous former Baron Hotel.
- Overnight stay in Aleppo.
Friday 13 September – Aleppo – Maloula
- City tour of Aleppo, one of the oldest cities in the world still inhabited.
- Highlight: Visit to the well-known Aleppo Citadel. A medieval fortress in the middle of the city.
- Walk through the old covered souk. It is still being renovated.
- Visit the Al Jdeideh district, one of the most famous neighbourhoods of the city.
- We drive to Maaloula. A beautiful village against the mountains. Here the language of Christ is still spoken (Aramaic).
- We take a look at the famous monasteries Mar Sarkis and Mar Taqla.
- Highlight: Today is the Exaltation of the Cross-festival. The whole night there will be one big party and we are invited.
- Overnight stay in Maloula.
Saturday 14 September – Maloula – Bosra – Damascus
- Drive to Bosra.
- Highlight: Arrival in Bosra, after which we go to the Roman Amphitheatre. A 45m long and 8,5m deep theatre that is remarkably well preserved.
- Walk through the old centre of Bosra, with e.g. the cathedral and the basilica.
- Drive to Damascus.
- Overnight stay in Damascus.
Sunday 15 September – Damascus – Beirut (Lebanon)
- Highlight: Drive towards the Golan Height, and more precisely the city of Al Qunaitera. This city was heavily damaged during the war in 1973.
- We will make a tour to the hill from where we have a view on the Israel city of Majdal Shams.
- Drive to the border with Lebanon
- Border crossing Syria / Lebanon.
- Drive to Beirut.
- End of tour.