Discover the Arabic peninsula
It is one of the most powerful players in the Middle East, but also, one of the most unknown places. For many years, the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia was an almost impossible country for non-Muslims to travel to. It has changed recently. The country is opening up to tourists and would like to welcome new visitors. Join our tour and discover the famous cities of Riyadh and Jeddah, but also the special places Al Ula, Ha’il and Medina. It will quickly amaze you how beautiful the country is and how friendly the people are.
|Start date||Sunday 15 October 2023|
|End date||Sunday 22 October 2023|
|Days||8 days / 7 nights|
Transportation on the ground
Western & local guide
Breakfast, lunch, dinner
Single room (€ 400)
Tips for the guide
Sunday 15 October – Riyadh
- Arrival in the capital Riyadh.
- At six o’clock you will meet the group at the hotel.
- Overnight stay in Riyadh.
Monday 16 October – Riyadh
- Drive to Al Turaif, this was the former capital of the Saudi dynasty from 1744 to 1818.
- National Museum, the most important museum about the entire history of Saudi Arabia.
- Al Masmak Fort, an old mud brick fort. The fort was one of the most important places in the creation of present-day Saudi Arabia.
- Al Zal Souk, this market has a wide variety of products for sale, a good place to get a real sense of the country.
- Highlight: Kingdom Tower (the bottle opener), the most famous building in Riyadh.
- Overnight stay in Riyadh.
Tuesday 17 October – Riyadh – Ushgayer – Buraidah
- Drive to Ushgayer.
- Highlight: Walk around the heritage village of Ushgayer. Here you’ll get an idea of life in Saudi Arabia around 100 years ago. You’ll see the small streets and squares, where locals still gather around for a tea.
- We continue our drive to Buraidah.
- Overnight stay in Buraidah.
Wednesday 18 October – Buraidah – Ha’il – Joubbah
- Highlight: Early wake up, as we head for the famous Camel Market. It’s the largest camel market in the world and truly a unique experience.
- We continue our drive through the dessert to Ha’il.
- We’ll explore A’arif Fort, originally build to protect the city.
- Drive to Joubbah
- Explore the Neolithic rock art in the mountains, one of the best preserved in the world.
- Return to Ha’il.
- Overnight stay in Ha’il.
Thursday 19 October – Ha’il – Al Ula
- We begin the long drive towards Al Ula.
- Upon arrival in Al Ula we’ll start with the sights around the area.
- Visit Dedan, Ikma Mountain, one of the most important archaeological sites in the area and known as the largest ‘open library’.
- Discover two tombs, which are decorated with two carved lions.
- Highlight: See the Elephant Rock (Jabal Al Fil).
- Watch the amazing sunset over the area.
- Overnight in a nearby farm, could be in the guest house with shared facilities or camping.
Friday 20 October – Al Ula – Maidan Saleh – Medina
- Highlight: Visit to Madain Saleh (Hegra), the most famous landmark in Saudi Arabia. It looks similar to Petra in Jordan, as it was on the same caravan route.
- We return to the car and start our drive towards Medina, the second holiest city in Islam.
- Overnight stay Medina.
Saturday 21 October – Medina – Jeddah
- We’ll visit the International Fair and Museum of the Prophet’s Biography and Islamic Civilization, centrally located in Medina.
- Walk down Qiba Street, which connects the Holy Mosque and the Qiba Mosque, both are very important for the Islam, the first place was the birth house and grave of prophet Mohammed and the other place being the first mosque ever built.
- Explore Medina’s walking street, full with traditional shops and restaurants.
- We head to the train station for the high speed train to Jeddah.
- Arrival in Jeddah, the most progressive city of the country.
- Highlight: Walk through old Jeddah (Al Balad). Here you will find beautiful, colourful houses reminiscent of the old times of Jeddah as a lively harbour town.
- Coral houses, these are the most colourful houses in the city. Unfortunately they are not all in good condition anymore.
- See the first school and first hotel in Saudi Arabia.
- Overnight stay in Jeddah.
Sunday 22 October – Jeddah
- Airport drop off.
- End of the tour.