Discover colourful Yemen
Discover the captivating Hadramaut province of Yemen with us, an oasis of safety amid Yemen’s civil war. This region was once the Republic of South Yemen and is renowned for its picturesque mud houses and awe-inspiring valleys, providing a unique glimpse into the daily life of Yemenis amidst turbulent times. Join us for an unforgettable journey through this relatively untouched part of Yemen.
|Start date||8 / 9 December 2023|
|End date||Thursday 14 December 2023|
|Days||Salala: 1 day / 1 night|
Hadramaut: 6 days / 5 nights
|Price||Salala: € 220|
Hadramaut: € 3,145
Transport on the ground
Security clearance / visa
Yemen: Breakfast, lunch, dinner
Single room (€ 350)
Tip for the guide
Optional Salala Day Tour: Friday 8 December – Salala (Oman)
- Meet your day tour group in the city of Salala, on the coast of Oman
- Highlight: Wadi Darbat – one of the most beautiful places around Salalah. We will see for example a big waterfall.
- Samhan Mountain – the highest point in the province (2100m). We will go to a viewpoint which is close to the clouds.
- Highlight: Gravity Place – a special phenomenon which is hard to explain. See with your own eyes when the car starts moving up without doing anything .
- The old city of Mirbat – one of the oldest cities, including a free museum to see old traditions and things from the past.
- Ain Arzat – a sink hole with water. There is also an old cave and a magnificent garden filled with roses.
- Dahariz Beach – one of the best places and crowded with visitors and citizens, close by is a wonderful lake with birds. We will watch sunset over here, if the timing is right.
- Overnight stay in Salala.
Hadramaut: Saturday 9 December – Salala – Al Ghaydah (Yemen)
- Meet your group in the city of Salala, on the coast of Oman.
- Departure towards the Oman/Yemen border.
- Meet our Yemeni guides at the border in the town of Surfeet. Here you’ll receive your Yemeni visa.
- Highlight: Drive next to the incredible Mehri coast. Along the way we make various photo stops.
- Arrival in the border town of Al Ghaydah.
- Wander around the night market of Al Ghaydah.
- Overnight stay in Al Ghaydah.
Sunday 10 December – Al Ghaydah – Khiseet – Mukhalla
- We continue our drive along the Mehri coast, next to the Arabian Sea. A coast line that is famous for its sardine processing.
- Highlight: Quick stop at the tiny fishing village of Khiseet. A beautiful place for photography.
- We continue onwards to Mukhalla.
- Overnight stay in Mukhalla.
Monday 11 December – Mukhalla – Wadi Doan – Haid Al-Jizil
- Highlight: Before we depart Mukhalla we’ll make a walk through the old town of Mukhalla.
- Visit to the Khoor Mukhalla & Al-Ghawizi Fort.
- Drive to Wadi Doan (Doan Valley). A picturesque place.
- We’ll go to the best place for an incredible panorama view of the valley, the Haid Al-Jizil Hotel.
- Highlight: Drive to Buqshan, this village is famous for its coloured houses.
- Highlight: We return to Haid Al-Jizil for sunset.
- Overnight stay in Haid Al-Jizil.
Tuesday 12 December – Haid Al-Jizil – Wadi Doan – Shibam – Hawta
- We make a 1h trek to Hawfah and enjoy a big panorama at a viewpoint.
- Highlight: Drive to Budha for (another) amazing viewpoint. Along the way we stop at small villages like Qarn Majed, to experience local life in the valley.
- Visit Al Khuraiba, a beautiful town along the way.
- Stop at the former palace of Osama Bin Laden’s family.
- Visit to the villages of Sif and Hajjrain.
- Drive to Shibam, in Wadi Hadramaut (Hadramaut Valley).
- Highlight: Sunset over Shibam.
- Drive to Hawta, close to the city of Seyun.
- Overnight stay in Hawta.
Wednesday 13 December – Hawta – Shibam – Seiyun – Avnat – Tarim
- We return to Shibam, also known at the Manhattan of Arabia.
- Highlight: Explore the inside of the city of Shibam, with its incredible mut houses.
- We drive to Seiyun, the biggest city in Southern Yemen.
- Highlight: Visit to the Sultan Palace Museum and the Al-Falas Palace.
- Wander around the Al-Handal Souk and the well known fruit and vegetable market.
- Continue towards Aynat, to see several historical shrines in the village.
- We’ll stop in Tarim, a historical village built in mud. Here we pay a visit to a small market and see the Al Mihdar Mosque.
- Return to Hawta.
- Overnight stay in Hawta.
Thursday 14 December – Hawta – Seiyun
- Early morning departure to catch the flight back to Cairo (Egypt) with Yemen Airways.