Discover Europe’s hidden corners
Join us on a journey to the undiscovered parts of Eastern Europe. During our summer tour you will get to know a totally different side of Europe. The highlight of the tour is a visit to Transnistria. An unexplored self-declared country that feels like it’s trapped in time. This tour can also be combined with our Chernobyl Summer Tour for the ultimate combo.
|Start date||Friday 21 July 2022|
|End date||Saturday 23 July 2022|
|Days||9 days / 8 nights|
Transportation on the ground
Western & local guide
Single room (€ 30 per night)
Food & drinks
Tips for the guide
Friday 15 July – Bucharest (Romania)
- Arrival in Bucharest and meet the group.
- Dinner at the famous restaurant Caru Cu Bere. (optional)
- Overnight stay in Bucharest.
Saturday 16 July – Bucharest
- Highlight: Parliament building, one of the largest buildings in the world.
- Revolution Square, named after the revolution of 1989.
- Churches that survived the Communist revolution.
- Free afternoon.
- Night train to Chisinau.
Sunday 17 July – Chisinau (Moldova)
- Arrival in Chisinau.
- Former National Hotel, this was once one of the most important hotels in the city.
- Monastery, this old monastery was spared during the Second World War.
- Urban prison, one of the most notorious places in Moldova.
- Highlight: Second World War Memorial, an impressive and large monument.
- Army museum, although Moldova is a small and unknown country, they are very proud of their military history.
- Highlight: Visit the Cricova Winery, one of the largest wineries in Europe. Here we take a tour through the large, dark cellars. There will also be a wine tasting.
- Overnight stay in Chisinau.
Monday 18 July – Chisinau – Bender – Tiraspol
- Drive towards Transnistria.
- Register with the local authority on arrival.
- Billboard of President Smirnoff, this man ruled the republic for years.
- Highlight: Embassies of South Ossetia and Abkhazia, two special embassies that only exist here.
- Office of the infamous Sheriff organisation. This organisation controls the majority of Transnistria.
- Local bookshop, a good place for souvenirs.
- Highlight: House of the Soviets, an impressive building with Stalinist architecture.
- General Suvorov statue, he was an important Russian general in this region.
- Parliament building, in front of the building stands a large statue of Lenin.
- Highlight: Eternal Flame War Memorial, memorial to the Afghanistan War, Second World War and Civil War.
- Palace of Culture, with a big Lenin bust in front of it.
- Russian Orthodox Church, a beautiful self-sufficient church.
- Kvient Supermarket, here you can buy cheap, good drinks.
- Soviet obelisk and viewpoint over a former civil war battlefield.
- Overnight stay in a real Soviet hotel in Tiraspol.
Tuesday 19 July – Tiraspol – Bender
- Highlight: Flea market, here you can find the perfect Soviet souvenirs.
- Drive to Bender, a city where there was a lot of fighting during the civil war.
- City Hall, the building is exactly as it was during the civil war, including the bullet holes.
- Walk through Lenin Park.
- Cinema, still well maintained in the style of the Soviet Union.
- Visit to the renovated train station.
- Highlight: Soviet train from the Second World War, it is parked next to the station as a monument.
- Amusement park The Great October, an old amusement park with classic Soviet attractions.
- Drive to a small village outside Bender.
- Palace of Culture with several statues.
- Visit to forgotten old Soviet war tunnels.
- Drive to Tiraspol.
- Overnight stay in Tiraspol.
Wednesday, 20 July – Tiraspol – Odessa – Kiev
- Drive to Odessa.
- Relax on the Black Sea coast.
- Free afternoon.
- Overnight stay in Odessa.
Thursday, 21 July – Odessa
- Highlight: City tour during which we will discover the dark side of Odessa:
- Tour abandoned Soviet factories, former Soviet brothels and nightclubs.
- Visit the lands of the former Odessa Mafia.
- Night train to Kiev.
Friday 22 July – Kiev
- Arrival in Kiev.
- Highlight: Short walking tour around Kiev by a veteran from the Euromaidan revolution.
- Visit to a shooting range (optional).
- Overnight in Kiev
Saturday 23 July – Kiev
- End of the tour.
- OR: continue with the Chernobyl Summer Tour.